Therapeutic Thai Massage
Thai massage consists of passive stretching positions and dynamic movements, joint mobilization and pressure point massage taken from yoga. Simply put, Thai massage is a combination of (passive) yoga and acupressure. My technique also incorporates elements of Swedish massage: kneading the muscles of the neck and shoulders with essential oil, and cranio- sacral release.
The yoga elements (fish, plow, bridge, tongs, etc.) of Thai massage and the terminologies used point to an Indian origin. The energy lines of Thai massage are similar (Thai: เส้น - sen ) to the named India energy lines ( prana nadis ): Sen Sumana (thai - เส้น สุมนา ) - Sushumna nadi (Sanskrit), Sen Ittha (thai - เส้น อิ ทา ) - Ida nadi(sanskrit), Sen Pingkhla (thai - เส้น ปิ ง คลา ) - Pingala nadi (sanskrit)
Thai massage is received lying or sitting on floor mats, wearing loose clothing.
The basis of the Thai massage is the ayurvedic system of the 72,000 energy lines ( nadis ), of which ten ( sip sen - สิบ เส้น ) are treated in the Thai massage . These power lines(energy points) are (in Japanese Shiatsu known as acupressure points) supply more energy (prana) to the body when they are stimulated. Prana can also be delivered to the body via breathing. In the stretching positions of the Thai massage, the muscles use more oxygen and the massage recipient is encouraged to breathe more deeply. Deep breathing stimulates relaxation and regeneration (increased prana).
Heal, open, renew, relax
- Pressure point massages stimulate blood circulation
- Stretching relaxes and releases tension from the muscles
- Yoga positions influence the skeletal muscular system
- Positions in which the legs are raised promote blood circulation and lymph flow, improving immune system function and vitality
- The rotation of the joints contributes to the production of synovial fluid and thus to physical suppleness
- In deep relaxation, the parasympathetic nervous system is activated so that the internal organs receive increased blood circulation and the metabolism is stimulated
- Mindful touch can induce physical well-being, and lifting techniques lead to a sense of security